nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Europa - Von Trier's got everything right in this as far as I'm concerned - great look to the whole thing and even Lemmy Caution (;)) has a role. Stunning last gasp scene for the carriage attendant.

After being tricked into to seeing Dancer in the Dark, I decided nobody was ever going to con me into being party to one of von Trier's filmic abortions again for as long as I lived.

mms

sometimes
just watched kwaidan japanese ghost story film from 1964 - amazingly dreamlike, touches of powell and pressburger but much more synthetic and painterly, with an incredible music concrete meets japanese music score by Toru Takemitsu.
One of those epic films, a bit like Sholay that has an intermission built into it.

polystyle

Kwaidan

Nice one MMS - Kwaidan.
The biggest budget Japanese movie in it's time,
love that eye in the background sky,
Black Hair,
the Shamisan playing monk,
a lot of great moods and you got it - the soundtrack by Takemitsu.
:D
One for the ages - and one anime and manga fans on Dissensus may just like...

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
After being tricked into to seeing Dancer in the Dark, I decided nobody was ever going to con me into being party to one of von Trier's filmic abortions again for as long as I lived.

'Europa' is the only one I've seen. Less 'avant-garde' than his later work, perhaps? I'm aware of his rep but this really is a very good movie.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Bernard Rose's debut. Recommended. It certainly has flaws, but has a very specific kind of creepiness that really hits home if you were a child in the eighties. The dream logic makes you completely distrustful of the whole film."
Yeah, that's a good film. You're right about the dream logic and the way that, later in the film, it makes her father seem very scary. I'm really feeling this dream thing in films at the moment and this is a nice example of a kids' film that manages to be entertaining for adults as well and not by dint of putting in some rude jokes. I like the bit near the start when it seems that the boy can't move away from the window 'cause she hasn't drawn his legs yet.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

seriously, try Breaking the Waves. I wouldn't guarantee you'd like it, but it's undeniably worth a watch.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
'Europa' is the only one I've seen. Less 'avant-garde' than his later work, perhaps? I'm aware of his rep but this really is a very good movie.

saw the trailer for it at a talk before Antichrist last night. brilliant. has inspired me to check out the film.

cresp

You're right about the dream logic and the way that, later in the film, it makes her father seem very scary.

Too right. Just that simple sudden change of behaviour on the beach at the beginning is enough to keep you on your toes throughout when watching him.

Can you think of anything from this period that may have similar qualities?
I recently watched Edge of Darkness, and am keen to find some of these treasures I was too young to enjoy first time round.

massrock

It was. Ruined by that King knob.

Von Trier is massive piss taker sometimes. I thought Dancer In The Dark was very funny, although I'm not sure how I'd feel if I saw it again. I usually don't feel like watching his films a second time. He's a sick bastard.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I guess I'm just not that moved by stories about psychologically fragile codependent simpletons.

Well, if psychological fragilitiy doesn't interest you per se, then there's quite a lot of art that won't interest you. Films about people who're totally psychologically sorted don't tend to be that interesting...

And I don't see why 'simpletons' are of any less interest than the rest of us, to be honest.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
i really rated dancer in the dark, not only is it the first musical I’ve been able to sit through without wincing but it must be the only musical whereby the songs develop naturally from surrounding environmental noise. such an obvious idea, rather frustratingly! I was also very pleased that it didn’t bother with a good ending.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was also very pleased that it didn’t bother with a good ending.

:p

I though it was kind of terrible and great at the same time - a complete car crash. Music was stunning, as you say, which probably pulled it through.

Demimoiselles of Rochefort and Umbrellas of Cherbourg also worth a watch as musicals, and of course there's the Deneuve connection there.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Well, if psychological fragilitiy doesn't interest you per se, then there's quite a lot of art that won't interest you. Films about people who're totally psychologically sorted don't tend to be that interesting...

And I don't see why 'simpletons' are of any less interest than the rest of us, to be honest.

It's not even really "fragility" per se that does it... I just don't think scenes where women throw up after touching a guy's penis on the bus are anything more than misogynistic fantasies about how a "good girl's" revulsion to sex outside of a relationship should play out, you know what I mean? I don't know if it's healthy for someone to do sexual things that make them throw up in the name of "love", although of course a lot of people do things that aren't healthy in the name of love...It could just be a personal thing, I know a lot of people really really like his films, someone talked me into going to see DintheD in the first place thinking I would like it for some reason.