polystyle

Swedish vampire film 'Let the right one in' is big, catch it in the cinema while you still can. Even if you hate vampire films/ horror, very little pandering to the cliches of the genre. I saw it last week and although its not a brilliantly amazing film, I have been thinking about it for days now. It's set in a snowy suburban new town type estate in the 80's.

I heard good things about Let The Right One In too,
but it was already gone by the time I looked up.
DVD i guess ...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i just watched this
really good
warren oates! (paging idle rich)
love the lack of affect, like the cameraman is a sociopath
outstanding soundtrack (carl orff's musica poetica; satie; etc...)
martin sheen dressed in a jean jacket, white t-shirt, jeans and boots for practically the entire picture
and lolitastic freckled ginger sissy spacek

alex

Do not read this.
went to see drag me to hell friday with my g/f, and despite laughing throughout its entirety at my g/f jumping at nearly ever scene, it was most enjoyable, not so much scary, but jumpy, really fucking jumpy lol...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
because of the oats factor i've had this cued up for a while now. does he play a substantial part in the film?
well... he plays a crucial role in the film and delivers an intense and focused performance
i would unreservedly recommend this one

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, he's not on screen much but he's not really a minor character either.
For trivia fans you can actually see Malick in this film - he's the guy who comes to the door when they have broken into a house about midway through the film. Apparently he only stood in becasue the guy who was supposed to do it wasn't available and Malick always planned to reshoot the scene and remove himself from the film but Sheen refused to reshoot it as he wanted Malick to stay in the film.

nochexxx

harco pronting
got round to watching this last night, cool film. loved the super casual murder scenes, especially the one through the barn cellar.

i read somewhere that badlands is based on a true story, so i'm wondering how close and true the main protagonist (played by sheen) is to the real character?

reminded me of 'a room with romeo brass'.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
it is the total opposite of Natural Born Killers, innit?

i like the (doll)house fire
the film is just beautifully shot but it doesn't seem to be trying
so breezy, free & easy

nochexxx

harco pronting
did those record-your-voice- flexidisc booths actually exist?

if they do i want one!

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
What, like in Brighton Rock? Pretty sure they did yeah - I know people who have found records created this way in charity shops.

STN

sou'wester
got round to watching this last night, cool film. loved the super casual murder scenes, especially the one through the barn cellar.

i read somewhere that badlands is based on a true story, so i'm wondering how close and true the main protagonist (played by sheen) is to the real character?

reminded me of 'a room with romeo brass'.

I think it's based on the story of Charlie Starkweather, who I'm sure is on wikipedia.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
yeah DJ SHADOW's Private Press record is full of those record-booth recordings

they are fantastic
would love to cram a band in there and put out seven inches willy-nilly
one-offs of course

extremely ltd ed

edit: and yeah, anyone remember the band Starkweather? killer metal/hardcore band from mid-nineties; gothic lyrics such as "every stone you cast upon me bruises me lovingly"

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not quite finished watching it yet, but see Nine Lives if you like 'Short Cuts'-y kinda episodic films with real bite. I personally prefer it to Short Cuts thus far...

Plus it has the amazing Molly Parker in it. Reason enough, I think.

craner

Beast of Burden
Saw Atonement the other night, liked it, though not that much, but I have to admit that this scene is absolutely extraordinary. One of the best pieces of Brit cinema for years, worth the entire film alone. I have no idea how they managed to shoot this.

craner

Beast of Burden
Reminded me of another WW2 scene that really transcends the film containing it. This one. I say 'scene', it's actually the entire opening sequence of the film. Astonishing piece of cinematography, though.

crackerjack

Saw Atonement the other night, liked it, though not that much, but I have to admit that this scene is absolutely extraordinary. One of the best pieces of Brit cinema for years, worth the entire film alone. I have no idea how they managed to shoot this.

I thought Atonement was really good once it got past the country house cliches.