mixed_biscuits

Last week I confidently asserted that someone was Thai only to be told that they were Turkish - practice makes perfect, eh.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Eh, yeah, it can be very difficult to tell where some people are from. In brooklyn there are chinese and mexican/south american people who look exactly alike, you really can't tell who's who.

But it's bad manners to ask "What are you?" like some yokel. I've known lots of mixed-race people who say they get it at least a few times a day and it's annoying. Esp the pretty ones.

I listened to this guy once trying to hit on an Asian girl by guessing where she was from. Finally she just said "I'm from China" and then the guy went on to tell her, "oh, yes! The Chinese alphabet is...such and such..." as if she doesn't know about her own alphabet. She just glared past him.

Last edited:

haji

lala
thanks for linking to the article....
it's bad manners to ask "What are you?" like some yokel. I've known lots of people who say they get it at least a few times a day and it's annoying. Esp the pretty ones.
i have discussed exactly this with people (in london) who find it embarassing and annoying, and, just as in the article, find that it comes up very often,
since then i find i started to notice the 'where are you from' question fairly often, and cringe.

i'm pleased to see it aired in public, even in the graunter, i think the readers are just the sort of folk who will not think of themselves as 'racist' in any way, but will not be shy to be open and upfront in asking this type of question, which is actually fairly offensive for reasons described by the author

it's a really neat example of how discrimination works;
white people who perpetrate it unconsciously have no conception of how obnoxious it is to be asked a question like this even once, and no inkling of how it feels to be asked about your race every day of your life.....

massrock

I have a version of that 'conversation' to do with my name not being British sounding. It's really boring. Mind you if anyone thinks it's bad in London they need to get out to some other parts of the UK.

dd528

it's a really neat example of how discrimination works; white people who perpetrate it unconsciously have no conception of how obnoxious it is to be asked a question like this even once, and no inkling of how it feels to be asked about your race every day of your life.....

I dunno. When I meet people it's usually patently obvious to them that I'm not what you would call "white", but they also have immense difficulty fitting my ethnicity into one of the preconceived categories they have in their head. People who are of African or Caribbean origin can usually clock it pretty easily (I'm half Irish, half black West African, for reference), but I've had people ask me if I'm Brazilian (makes sense I guess), Jewish, Moroccan, Iranian, Spanish and Italian (not all at the same time...).

It doesn't bother me too much though. I know enough to know that racial categories are largely arbitrary (even if their social or political significance is very strong), but I've also learnt not to expect others to come equipped with that same knowledge. There's usually no malice intended in their question.

Occasionally it does piss me off to be asked about my ethnicity. When I got a lift from an old Afrikaner in South Africa, and I could tell that my answer would have a direct bearing on how I was going to be perceived, I was pretty quick to change the subject. But I find that most of the time people are just interested to learn a bit about a culture or heritage that's unfamiliar to them. Obviously culture and physical features are, essentially, completely distinct things, but I have had genuinely fascinating and enlightening conversations with people that have come about because they asked me "where I was from".

Of course, if I ever have a similar curiosity about someone else, I'm always careful to couch my question in slightly less reductionist language. And if I ever get the chance to try to help someone gain a slightly more nuanced understanding of the many significances of racial classification, I'm always keen to take it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Finally she just said "I'm from China" and then the guy went on to tell her, "oh, yes! The Chinese alphabet is...such and such..." as if she doesn't know about her own alphabet. She just glared past him.

Uh, to say nothing of that fact that Chinese doesn't have an alphabet.

nomadthethird

Uh, to say nothing of that fact that Chinese doesn't have an alphabet.

Yeah, it has characters though.

What was especially offensive about his comments was that he was comparing the ease of learning Chinese to how much harder it is to learn Japanese.

And most people realize the Chinese and Japanese don't get along too well.

nomadthethird

They actually were talking about alphabets, tho:

Mandarin

Informally, people refer to alphabets in Asian languages, especially because the way a lot of English speakers learn is by first learning the romanized versions of words.

zhao

there are no accidents
I have a version of that 'conversation' to do with my name not being British sounding. It's really boring. Mind you if anyone thinks it's bad in London they need to get out to some other parts of the UK.

massrock sounds like a chinese person saying math rock.

zhao

there are no accidents
I dunno. When I meet people it's usually patently obvious to them that I'm not what you would call "white", but they also have immense difficulty fitting my ethnicity into one of the preconceived categories they have in their head. People who are of African or Caribbean origin can usually clock it pretty easily (I'm half Irish, half black West African, for reference), but I've had people ask me if I'm Brazilian (makes sense I guess), Jewish, Moroccan, Iranian, Spanish and Italian (not all at the same time...).

It doesn't bother me too much though. I know enough to know that racial categories are largely arbitrary (even if their social or political significance is very strong), but I've also learnt not to expect others to come equipped with that same knowledge. There's usually no malice intended in their question.

Occasionally it does piss me off to be asked about my ethnicity. When I got a lift from an old Afrikaner in South Africa, and I could tell that my answer would have a direct bearing on how I was going to be perceived, I was pretty quick to change the subject. But I find that most of the time people are just interested to learn a bit about a culture or heritage that's unfamiliar to them. Obviously culture and physical features are, essentially, completely distinct things, but I have had genuinely fascinating and enlightening conversations with people that have come about because they asked me "where I was from".

Of course, if I ever have a similar curiosity about someone else, I'm always careful to couch my question in slightly less reductionist language. And if I ever get the chance to try to help someone gain a slightly more nuanced understanding of the many significances of racial classification, I'm always keen to take it.

feel much the same way. not too bothered when i'm asked this question, and it's usually the first thing people ask. and not offended when mistaken for japanese... i sometimes tell them i'm an Inuit just to fuck with them... start talking about my dogs and sledding fun and whale hunting...

but of course i see what people are saying about the reductionism.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Glancing in the mirror and realising that you forgot to brush your hair after showering this morning and consequently look like a scarecrow. :mad:

STN

sou'wester
are churches public buildings? People aren't allowed to bollock you if you go in one without being a christian are they (yes, this happened to me at the weekend).

john eden

male pale and stale
are churches public buildings? People aren't allowed to bollock you if you go in one without being a christian are they (yes, this happened to me at the weekend).

Was it a C of E church?

I don't think they are public buildings per se but surely it is quite christian to reach out to your brother man (and sister woman) in the spirit of forgiveness and love? :D

Plus also they like people to make donations to help with their upkeep, in general.

Were you wearing that Cradle of Filth T-shirt again?

STN

sou'wester
It was a Georgian Orthodox Church. While she was bollocking me I was frantically looking at the stained glass windows (effectively trying to steal culture).

I think she was trying to reach out to me, by making me a Christian.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It was a Georgian Orthodox Church. While she was bollocking me I was frantically looking at the stained glass windows (effectively trying to steal culture).

I think she was trying to reach out to me, by making me a Christian.

By reach out, you must mean brainwash and crush.

Were you dressed as a bear in an Andrey Arshavin football top and carrying a balalaika, or something?