massrock

When people come on all opinionated but can't manage to actually state what their opinion is exactly, instead making vague insinuations about what they think yours is. Or something.

martin

----
Another lame question (from people you've just met) is "what do you do/where do you work?" If you're ever asked this in the vicinity of a) people taking drugs b) Guardian readers, reply "Flying Squad" (EDIT-who don't deal with drugs - so reply "DS". Or "I'm in the arms trade") (fuck, can I not write a straight sentence today)

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"what, in your opinion, does China need to apologize to Japan for?"
Nothing, it's a poor and probably culturally insensitive joke about the difficulty a number of people from those countries have in pronouncing the letter r - sorry.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Another lame question (from people you've just met) is "what do you do/where do you work?" If you're ever asked this in the vicinity of a) people taking drugs b) Guardian readers, reply "Flying Squad" (EDIT-who don't deal with drugs - so reply "DS". Or "I'm in the arms trade") (fuck, can I not write a straight sentence today)

"I'm in murders and executions" is a good one (thanks, B.E.E.)

Amplesamples

Going to a certain record shop in London for some dubstep, and the guy working there knows nothing about Dubstep (as in absolutely nothing), then plays some really shitty d'n'b incredibly loud while I'm trying to listen to some dubstep tunes on the turntables. Couldn't even hear the tunes I was thinking of buying. Been to this shop before on a Sunday when it should be open (it's a hour-long journey) and it's closed for no reason - this has happened more than once. Aarrgh!!!!

I walked out in the end and went elsewhere. anyone know some good places to buy in dubstep in london?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
thanks for the link. a nice bit of light morning history reading :)

It never fails to amaze me how Japan seems to have swept its doings prior to and during WWII under the carpet, in contrast to Germany where contrition is virtually an industry. Even in this country, I think, the first thing that springs to mind for most people when "Japan" and "WWII atrocities" are mentioned together is the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, rather than atrocities committed by the Japanese.

Not to trivialise the enormity of those events, of course.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It never fails to amaze me how Japan seems to have swept its doings prior to and during WWII under the carpet, in contrast to Germany where contrition is virtually an industry. Even in this country, I think, the first thing that springs to mind for most people when "Japan" and "WWII atrocities" are mentioned together is the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, rather than atrocities committed by the Japanese.

Not to trivialise the enormity of those events, of course.

My Dad was in Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion, he must have been about 11. None of his side of the family will talk about it at all, they just shake their heads when I ask. He told my mum that they took away all of their 'right' shoes and just left them with left shoes to wear, and that they shot his pet ducks in front of him; one of his brothers killed himself during that period as well. War, war is stupid and people are stupid. And love means nothing in some strange corners.

zhao

there are no accidents
My Dad was in Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion, he must have been about 11. None of his side of the family will talk about it at all, they just shake their heads when I ask. He told my mum that they took away all of their 'right' shoes and just left them with left shoes to wear, and that they shot his pet ducks in front of him; one of his brothers killed himself during that period as well. War, war is stupid and people are stupid. And love means nothing in some strange corners.

my grand parents also refused to talk about the invasion. but one of the things my grandfather, by then a retired engineer and a somewhat jolly old man, made sure i remembered and understood as i was growing up, was to never, EVER trust a Japanese. because "they are snakes, they are rabid dogs that will turn on you no matter no matter what".

of course i don't feel this about Japanese people that i meet... but certain aspects of the culture is certainly worrying to say the least.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Fairly standard complaint, may have appeared here before, but - People who barge onto the subway at a station without letting you or anyone else get out first, even when you're clearly waiting right by the door.
The driver can see who's waiting on the platform, the train's not just going to suddenly dissapear in the next three seconds. Gah! :mad:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People who insist on holding a door open for you when you're walking down a corridor behind them (even when you're not burdened by some heavy/bulky item and can obviously manage the onerous task of opening the door by yourself), even though there's a considerable distance between the two of you so there'd clearly be no danger of the door swinging back into your face if they just walked straight through it. I've seen this with other people and the person who's having the door considerately held open for them often feels compelled to do this embarrassed little skipping run to reach the door quicker, so as not to make the other person have to wait so long.

I've decided that the way to deal with this situation is just to carry on walking at exactly the same pace and then accept the open door with a smile. For extra fun you could even stop dead to tie your laces or pretend to read a text message or something, and see how long the door-holder stays there waiting for you...

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
People who insist on holding a door open for you when you're walking down a corridor behind them (even when you're not burdened by some heavy/bulky item and can obviously manage the task of opening the door by yourself), even though there's a considerable distance between the two of you so there'd clearly be no danger of the door swinging back into your face if they just walked straight through it. I've seen this with other people and the person who's having the door considerately held open for them often feels compelled to this embarrassed little skipping run to reach the door quicker, so as not to make the other person have to wait so long.

I've decided that the way to deal with this situation is just to carry on walking at exactly the same pace and then accept the open door with a smile. For extra fun you could even stop dead to tie your laces or pretend to read a text message or something, and see how long the door-holder stays there waiting for you...

The worst, though, the absolutely worst thing in the world, is when you are at some double doors, and someone is coming though the other way, and they're quite close so Tea's beef does not apply, and you open one door towards yourself, hold it for them to let them through first, and then, then what the fucker does is push open the other door and go through that.

I HAVE JUST OPENED A FUCKING DOOR FOR YOU, AND WAITED FOR YOU TO COME THROUGH IT, AND NOW I'M LEFT STANDING HERE, HOLDING IT FOR MYSELF YOU MASSIVE PRICK.

Not you, Tea, you understand. Another person.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
People who insist on holding a door open for you when you're walking down a corridor behind them (even when you're not burdened by some heavy/bulky item and can obviously manage the onerous task of opening the door by yourself), even though there's a considerable distance between the two of you so there'd clearly be no danger of the door swinging back into your face if they just walked straight through it. I've seen this with other people and the person who's having the door considerately held open for them often feels compelled to do this embarrassed little skipping run to reach the door quicker, so as not to make the other person have to wait so long.

I love the sickness of inducing the skipping run.